Sunday, September 12, 2010

Viaje

Yes...as I am delayed in writing these blogs as of late it has been 4 days since I arrived home from my vacation in Spain or "viaje en Espana" as the Spanish would say. However, I am still determined to write about the trip it will just be less of a detailed/play-by-play account and more of a summary of the highlights.

As many of you know, I am the type who likes to plan things out and know what I'm getting into before I get into it. This was not really that sort of a trip, although I did my best to make it be.

Like I said in my previous post, Jess and I spent the Wednesday (Sept 1) planning our trip to Spain, since Egypt was now out of the question). We were dealing with crappy internet connection at school so it was really challenging to book hostels and check flights. In the end, by 8pm, we managed to sort it all out and had to get straight on packing since we were to leave at 6:45am the next morning!

We arrived in Barcelona first and it was awesome! After staying for 3 nights, and 4 full days, here are some of the highlights:

La Rambla

A street running from Plaza Catalunya to the marina that is full of buskers (sometimes doing strange things), restaurants, and souvenir shops. Needless to say it is a tourist trap but an interesting promenade none the less.

Tapas

A typical Spanish event, I say event because it can start as late as 10 or 11pm and last for hours. You go to a restaurant and pick all different types of dishes to try (more of an assortment of appetizers) along with your sangria, beer or wine. Jess and I opted to try this experience and although it led to a hefty bill, it was a lot of fun as we especially enjoyed the sangria and extra long (3 foot) straws that accompanied.

The Beach

We clearly could not go to Barcelona and not spend at least a couple afternoons at the beach on the Mediterranean Sea. Much to my surprise the beach was not like those in Nice, France where the "sand" is actually all pebbles. I was quite pleased that is was real sand and not a painful experience to get into the water as it was in Nice. We enjoyed the sun immensely (although it drained our energy) and I have to say our homemade glasses for the 1L cartons of sangria we purchased were the highlight of our trips to the Beach.

Passeig de Gracia

The main avenue running down the centre of Barcelona. It reminded me much of Les Champs d'Elysees in France with the boutiques, restaurants and stores like Hugo Boss, Burberry, Chanel, Yves St.Laurent, etc. It was always bustling with people and activity with some hidden architectural gems along the way. Personally, I was entralled by all of the colonial architechture in Barcelona. The only frustration was that although I can speak some Spanish, Barcelona was a city in the Catalunya region and most people spoke Catalan rather than Spanish.

Familia Sagrada

Considered the 3rd cathedral of Barcelona and a symbolic landmark, la Familia Sagrada started construction in 1882 and isn't supposed to be completed until 2025. It is one of Gaudi's most recognized, and admired, pieces of architecture, and it was amazing to see the inspiration he drew from the shapes, movement and characteristics of nature. It really was incredible and would certainly stand out among one of the top cathedrals I've seen from around the world.

Well, I guess I should space these out a bit so you guys get a break from my rambling so I'll share some stories from Madrid in the next post.
Ciao amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment