Thursday, October 14, 2010

Amsterdam

As I mentioned in my last post, Jess and I spent Thanksgiving weekend in Amsterdam. It was a little sad not getting to have the traditional turkey and mashed potato meal, like we usually do in Canada, and not getting to be with our families but we still had a good time.

Once again I was pleased to get my Starbucks fix (although $8 for a grande size) and stock up on Swiss chocolate since we had to train to Geneva in order to fly to Amsterdam. We got a chance to check out the Heineken Brewery/museum, Anne Frank House, coffee shops, the red light district and just wander around taking in the architecture and sights. We enjoyed numerous Dutch meals/pastries and finally got to have some strawberries (been craving them for a while).

I think I'm in denial that its fall. In Grenoble the weather had been sitting around 21 degrees since I arrived and the last two times that I've gone away for the weekend I've experienced temperatures closer to 10 degrees. And of course, each time I am under dressed since I was planning for warmer weather. Needless to say, I bought both a jacket and some winter boots in Amsterdam. No, it wasn't that cold but at least now I'm more prepared for when fall/winter actually does come. Because its more humid here than in Edmonton you feel the cold faster than you do back home too.

Now that I'm back in Grenoble for the next little while, it's time to focus on school. I've actually become very overwhelmed by my classes and not just because I've been leaving town frequently. Within the next 3 weeks I have 5 group presentations/reports to finish and 2 midterms to study for. GEM faculty says employers are looking for graduates that can work in groups but I think they took that to a little bit of an extreme when planning the curriculum!

If you want to read about my classes and assignments, Jess (another exchange student) wrote a blog all about it so you can check that out instead of me just repeating it all. Also note that 2 of these classes have regular and necessary textbook reading to keep up with and 2 of the classes usually have weekly or bi-weekly homework assignments as well. YAY!

Needless to say...I have lots of work to do. Hopefully I can just buckle down and focus even though my dad is visiting for the next two weeks. I think I'll have mad co-ordinating skills after all this group project/meeting planning when every class has a different group mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment