Thursday, July 22, 2010

Prelude


Hello all!

If you read my "About Me" section you'll see that I am heading to Grenoble, France on August 29, 2010 to start a 4 month, semester abroad at Grenoble Ecole de Management (this will be the second last semester of my Bachelor of Commerce degree). This blog will begin by telling the tales of my French adventure and, if I can keep up the writing, will continue to serve as documentation of my travels. Bear with me as I'm a detailed person and parts of my blogs you might not find very interesting however, I hope you will find other parts enjoyable as you join me on my journeys.

I must say I found it especially helpful and interesting to read other blogs written by students who have already gone on an exchange to Grenoble so I'll do my best to document the process, my frustrations, what I learn, amazing places I visit and of course...the best cheese and wine I experience! That way, hopefully, other people can benefit just as much from my blog as I did from others.


The process of my exchange began in the idea stages last October/November. Although I have already been in post secondary for 5 years and will have finished the Cooperative Education program, I started seriously thinking about adding in one last experience before I graduate in April 2011. Because my major is International Business...and I ADORE traveling...an international exchange was the first thing on my mind. Deciding on a location was a tough call. I had already visited Europe twice (France, Italy, Germany, England and Greece), but it was mostly with my parents and living there on my own would be a whole different story. I thought about Mexico, and South or Central America but based on previous experience, I determine it would be a lot harder (almost a logistical nightmare) to travel between countries, during my spare weekends, then it would be in Europe. The reason I had already ruled out most other areas of the world is because I thought it would be advantageous, to my degree and to my language skills, to live in a country that spoke a language I also spoke (English, French and Spanish). Well that left me with France or Spain. I have never been to Spain but I decided I could actually communicate fairly efficiently in French so that would be better for signing leases (for my appartment), setting up a bank account, maybe scoping out a job (for after graduation) and for social reasons as well.

Anyways, point being, here I am now after much preparation and bureaucracy (which I was expecting but not really before I even arrived) I'm headed to Vancouver, BC this weekend for an appointment with the French Consulate to get my Student Visa. Hopefully everything goes smoothly since this would be the last thing that could potentially stop me from studying in France.

No comments:

Post a Comment